I've knitted baby socks, gigantor 6'8" tall brother socks, size 4 little woman mil socks and everything in between. I've used patterns, made up patterns, thrown away pages that I coudn't turn into patterns....I've almost pulled out my hair, pulled out my DPN's because of dropped stitches or some other travesty...
I've shown off with pride socks that I've made, looked back on them years later & wondered how in the world I even knitted that and it stayed together and a million other things.
And all of that was before I found out the truth of my knitting.......as readers of this blog knows I have been twisting my stitches & going backwards (and making things so hard on me!)....
I love socks because I can make them to fit my flat feet & not have the budge where my arch should be...I love that I can knit toe socks & make the pinky toe part of the sock just right for my crooked pinky toe.
socks are small enough of a project that you can take them just about anywhere. When you take them out there's usually a conversation from others wanting to know what I'm doing...etc. They can be complicated so that I have to concentrate with every stitch, or simple enough that I can do mindless knitting. I love that.
Here you see a picture of a pair of socks I knitted for just me with a pattern I made up...
the other foot I tried to duplicate stitch type lizard. Believe it or not people actually can tell that's what it is looking at it in real life....
since learning everything I was doing wrong I can't help but see the millions of mistakes that I've made in my knitting projects. It almost makes me cry to think of the projects I've sent out without knowing I was crossing my stitches and going backwards....and it makes me so sad to know that I didn't have to re-do all those patterns the way that I did in order for them to look like the picture...I just needed to get my stitches right.
out of everything I am most looking forward to knitting correctly it has to be socks. I can't wait to sit & knit a pair of socks & see my finished work. I can't wait to see how they wear & how they hold up....they've always held up so well, and I hope that continues with my new adventure.
Socks can cheer you up on dreary days. Who can wear a pair of brightly colored socks and feel depressed? What a conversation starter to have someone compliment you on the colors, ask you where you got them & then act impressed to find out you knitted them yourself.
if I could answer one question & never answer again it would be
"Aren't they more expensive to knit socks than to buy a pair?"
"yes...they are...but I do love them so & they are fantasic"(says I)
What is your favorite thing to knit?


No comments:
Post a Comment